Vista Update

  • From: "Dave Mitchell" <mitch44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "JawsLite" <jawslite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:40:39 -0700

Hi,  Here is a snipped portion of the Tip of the Day e mail from KimKomando
on some news and facts about Vista, FYI:

High-tech issues in Windows Vista

Q. Since you get the latest on Windows Vista, can you update us on its EFI
and 64-bit capabilities? Will current computers be able to be upgraded to
the
new operating system?

A. That's some pretty heavy duty stuff. But questions about Windows Vista
are important. It will be available to businesses late this year. But it
won't
be available to home users until January 2007. It will be the first new
version of Windows since 2001, when XP was released.

I'm going to answer these questions in reverse order. So let's start with
upgrading current machines.

Final system requirements for Vista have not been released. But it
definitely will be more demanding than Windows XP. According to Microsoft,
machines will
require a "modern processor." I assume that means a higher end processor
from Intel or Advanced Micro Devices.

In addition, you'll need a minimum of 512 megabytes of random access memory.
I would double that. And you'll need to be able to run DirectX 9 graphics.
That probably translates to a video card with 128 MB (or more) of RAM.

According to Microsoft, all Vista versions sold in the United States will be
capable of 64-bit computing. That means it will be able to operate via
64-bit
microprocessors. These chips can manipulate 64-bit (or eight-byte) chunks of
data. That is twice as much as most current chips.

Will that be a big deal? Well, yes, in some cases. Really demanding
programs, such as games or those that do video editing, probably will run
faster or
be more capable. However, Windows Vista also will run today's 32-bit chips.
Most people will find them perfectly acceptable, at least for the next
several
years.

Although we are definitely headed toward 64-bit computing, there is a lot of
hype over the issue. For more information, read tips on my Web site about
the
availability of 64-bit software
and
the difference between 64-bit chips and dual-core chips.

Lastly, let's look at EFI. That stands for extensible firmware interface.
Your question implies that EFI will be part of Windows Vista. That
apparently
is not correct.

EFI is a specification backed by Intel as a modern replacement of the BIOS.
The BIOS (basic input/output system) in your PC is basically its bare-bones,
hard-wired operating system. When the computer starts, BIOS paves the way
for a high-level operating system like Windows to take over. For example, it
typically ensures that all the computer's hardware components are present.

Unlike BIOS, EFI promises a standardized bridge between the operating system
and the computer's hardware. The specification dates to 2000.

Along with standardization, EFI takes direct control of the computer's
hardware away from operating systems like Windows. It also takes the
responsibility
for device drivers from operating systems. This gives developers easier ways
to support multiple operating systems (including OS X and Linux).

Apple computers equipped with Intel processors boot up using EFI. However, a
Microsoft manager's comments at an Intel developer meeting indicate Vista
will
not support EFI.

Should you worry about that? I doubt it. The average user will probably
never know the difference.