Re: Updates

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:25:59 -0700

Christine,

Not objecting to anything you're thinking, except I'd like to offer one
important distinction I'm afraid you're missing. Which is understandable, as
everyone is calling everything by the same name. Update.

The updates we've been talking about are the incremental updates that Freedom
Scientific, as any company might, issues during the life of one single release,
in this case Jaws Version 10. That's why they're all identified with numbers
that start with 10. These aren't new versions or new releases of jaws, but just
interim modifications with bug fixes and maybe a new function here or there as
if it were an afterthought or something they meant to have in the version to
begin with but didn't manage to work out in time.

Ignoring these updates may create some problems for the user, or may not.
Usually not. But the way in which you're thinking of costing yourself money
isn't to do with these interim updates. What you are thinking of are the actual
new version releases, which tend to come out each November or so. Now, if you
don't have an SMA with a credit that will pay for the new release, and you skip
one, two or who knows how many new releases, it's *then* that you find you have
to pay serious money to upgrade from your old Jaws to the new one. But this has
nothing to do with ignoring the types of updates we've been discussing.

I notice I used the verb "upgrade" to mean "move up." That's an ordinary way to
use it, but don't think about that word here as if it were part of the
vocabulary. it isn't. Just think of updates versus new releases.

I hope that's helpful.
to r4elhis Uus----- Original Message -----