Solution to getting Eloquence to talk in DOS window

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 05:47:49 -0500

Hello listers,

In a previous post, I asked how to get Eloquence to speak in a DOS window.

David Poehlman offered some suggestions to fix the problem, and thanks to
his help, I found the solution. Here's what I did:

I found a "MS-DOS.JCF" config file in the JAWS50/settings/enu directory and
opened it. Then I went to File/open default. Then I went to User
Settings/Advanced, where I found a "Use DOS screen-reader when in a DOS
window"check box which was checked. I unchecked it, and saved the change.
Now when I open a DOS window, Eloquence reads the screen.

Having that check box checked meant that JFW was trying to let JFD do the
talking, but since I no longer have a hardware synthesizer on that machine,
it couldn't talk.

One thing for sure, using Eloquence instead of a hardware synth sure does
slow down responsiveness in a DOS window. The key-echo is quite sluggish.

Regards,

Alan Clendinen

From: "Alan Clendinen" <

alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: How to use eloquence in DOS window?

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 03:55:43 -0500

Hello listers,

Where is the option found in JFW 5.0.844 which tells JFW to use eloquence

when you open a DOS window? I'm having to do without a hardware synthesizer

on one of my computers, and I'll be darned if I can find an option for this

anywhere in the JFW settings or any of the JFW utilities.

Since I'm on digest mode, please send a reply to:

alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx

Alan