Slow Reading of Contacts in Windows Mail

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:08:23 -0500

Hi All:

I have a client with a peculiar problem.  He's running JAWS 10 on a
Windows Vista computer with 2GB of RAM.

What will happen is this.  When he goes into Windows Mail, then enters
the contact folder by pressing ctrl+shift+c, he can arrow down the first
three contacts and they are read right away.  Starting with the fourth
contact, when you arrow down, JAWS doesn't read anything for a good 10
seconds or so.

I have checked the folder and it shows that it is maximized.  The other
issue is when I press alt-F4 to get out of contacts and back into
Windows Mail, it takes a long time, maybe over a minutes to close the
contacts.

He's getting all of his Windows Updates.  I checked and changed his
screen resolution and this did not fix the problem.  I went into the
start-up options in msconfig and didn't find anything I could disable.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so,how did you fix it?  He
hasn't had anyone with sight see if the contacts folder scrolls better
with JAWS off, but my assumption is it would.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)