Re: Running Jaws First...

  • From: "Steve Gomes" <finnygomes@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:38:44 -0700

Hi hal. When I had windows 98 se, I had trouble with norton because it tried
to start with jaws and the two of them got their legs and arms wrapped
around each other's necks and I would get an illegal operation. here is a
message I found from Walter Siren.

Are you talking about ndetect?  If so, here are the instructions that were
posted on the jfwlite list a while back.

When we were first discussing this issue Suymantec, > suggested an
alternative which appeared at the time to be preferable to  loosing the
convenience of having jaws start before the login dialog appears. > I have
slightly simplified the instructions that Norton gave and they follow. First
using startup manager or msconfig delete or uncheck the scheduling agent.
the program name is mstask.exe.

  then press the windows logo key followed by r and in the run dialog paste
 > the following line.

  c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup

  After the folder is located press alt+f then w for new. then press s until
  You hear short cut then press enter.

  at the command line prompt paste in the following line:

  c:\windows\system\mstask.exe

  Tab to ok and press enter.
  .

  Tab to Finishh and press s enter.
  Then the Norton program will start substantially after jaws and the
problem should go away.

Walter Siren