RE: Research It

  • From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:54:59 -0000

Here's the help topic on the new Research It.
Features such as Web Slices in Internet Explorer 8 and gadgets saved in your
Windows Sidebar are intended to make it easy for you to quickly obtain
information. This material is presented in a format that is quick to scan
visually. However, when using assistive technology tools, there is often
extra information presented that is easier to ignore visually than when
listening or reading with braille.

Research It is a new feature that provides quick access to information while
also making it easy to return to your primary task. Use just a few
keystrokes to look up information and display salient data in the Virtual
Viewer. When you have finished researching, press another keystroke to
return to the task you were performing before the research started. All that
is required to use Research It is an Internet connection.

There are multiple ways to launch and use Research It. By default,
Wiktionary is the primary lookup source. This means that while the cursor is
on a word in a document or Web page, you can press the default keystroke,
INSERT+WINDOWS Key+R, to quickly lookup the Wiktionary description for that
word. You can always change the primary lookup source at any time using the
JAWS Configuration Manager, which lets you select which lookup source to use
as the JAWS default or as the default for individual applications. As you
become more familiar with Research It, and as more lookup modules are
created and made available to you, you will want to change the default
lookup source used by JAWS, or just use a different lookup source on the
fly.

The most efficient way to search for a term is to use the new layered
keystroke, INSERT+SPACEBAR, R. By pressing and releasing INSERT+SPACEBAR,
and then pressing R, you can open the Research It edit field to type a word
or expression of interest. This can be a zip code, or city and state, or
city and country that can be used with the Weather lookup tool to read a
forecast, or a date that is used to view baseball or football schedules and
scores, or a word to use with the Wikipedia search query to view its meaning
or description. After viewing these results, press ESC to close the Virtual
Viewer window and return to your original focus point.

If you are a software developer or script developer, you can create and
customize your own lookup module DLL and tailor it to your organization's
needs. For example, if your company specializes in medical equipment, you
can create a lookup source that is essentially a glossary of medical and
industry terms. A developer's guide that outlines formatting for rule sets
and debugging techniques is available at Research It Developer's Guide.

For more information about using and configuring this feature, refer to
Research It.

For a demonstration of Research It, listen to the August 2009 FSCast.