Realplayer.

  • From: "Kevin White" <Whiteko@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 00:32:25 -0400

As was a previous thred, the realplayer does have many limitation with the
JFW software.  I was in contast with them today and hear are the results of
that contact.
This document applies to:

- RealOne Player v2
- SuperPass

We are committed to creating accessible software and we also thank you for
your patience as we find and fix issues relating to accessibility. If you
have
a specific issue or request, we'd like to hear from you! RealOne Player has
been designed to work best with JAWS (v4.02 or greater recommended) or
Window-Eyes
(v4.21 or greater).

Send any feedback to:
r1p_accessibility@xxxxxxxxx

Screen-reader Version Requirements
As noted above, RealOne Player works best with the following screen-reader
software:

- Window-Eyes version 4.21 or greater required (to be released early Fall of
2002)
- JAWS version 4.02 or greater recommended

Keyboard Shortcuts and Limitations
RealOne Player has a number of
Keyboard Shortcuts
to help you navigate its various features and areas. Some exceptions are
described below.

RealOne Radio
To use RealOne Radio with JAWS screen-reader software, you must set a
special cookie by going to the following page:
http://switchboard.real.com/player/?cd=tuner_accessibility.

This page sets (and allows the deletion) of a cookie that will disable
features that cause many screen-readers to fail.

Known Issues
The RealOne Radio page currently works only with the JAWS screen reader
software and does not work with Window-Eyes, due to each of the product's
natural
limitations.

Message Center
The RealOne Message Center delivers periodic messages of interest to the
user. You can customize which categories of messages you receive. By
default, the
following categories are selected: Most Popular Clips, Product News, Opinion
Polls, Tips & Tricks and Special Offers. Currently the Messaging system is
not very screen-reader accessible, and most screen-reader users will want to
disable messaging to prevent the pop-up windows from interrupting work flow.
Here are the steps to do so (may require sighted assistance):

1. Click View > Message Center in the RealOne Player menus to open the
Message Center.
2. Click the Options menu on the Message Center.
3. Choose Personalize Message Center. This brings up the Personalization
window.
4. Click to clear any checked boxes (5 should be checked by default).
5. Click Save Changes.
6. Close Message Center.

A software update message may appear if an updated version of RealOne Player
is made available, but no other messages should appear.

Multimedia Advertisements
Screen-reader users may find the periodic display of advertisements in the
presentation window problematic. While the free Player is necessarily
supported
by advertisers, if you purchase the RealOne Player Plus or purchase a
RealOne Subscription (which also gives you the Player Plus features), your
product
usage will rarely, if ever, be interrupted by an advertisement.

Other Known Issues
There is currently an issue with the RealOne Player installer that prevents
the values of some checkboxes from being read.

JAWS Cursor Mode does not operate properly with RealOne Player. The arrow
keys to move the cursor may not work; the cursor simply stays in one fixed
spot
when over the Player.

When playing a DVD, you may need to use the mouse to activate the DVD menu.

RealOne Player does not currently allow seeking to a specific time offset
within a file. We are aware of its importance to screen-reader users and
will
restore it in future versions of the Player.