RE: RealSpeak Again... Has Anyone Else Found...

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:08:40 -0700

Hi Kim,

As a user of Realspeak, I have noticed this sluggishness (rather, memory
usage increases). Currently, I am using Eloquence to write this message, but
I use Korean Realspeak voice for certain Korean websites.

Well, as for explaining sluggishness, think of this way: the only thing that
the "silicon brain" cares is about something that it needs to do about
certain things that it needs to handle. These are technically called
"algorithm" - instructions that computers needs to follow exactly - and
data, which computers needs. In our case, the data is the Realspeak
synthesizer data, and the algorithm is using it to say things out loud with
a screen reader. Depending on the size of the data, the computer would take
anywhere from few nanoseconds to couple milliseconds to process this data,
thus leading to sluggishness of the system. Also, if the space on which the
data occupies becomes low, it will cause slowness.

There is a book called "C++: A Dialogue." This is a manual for C++
programming, but it has few useful information about what computers do with
data and algorithm. So, I recommend that you investigate this book (it is
online and free). I highly recommend this book for those who want to
understand computers from programming and technical perspective - especially
when discussing memory issues, which this post points to in regards to
Realspeak and JAWS 10.0.

Cheers,

Joseph P.S. It is better to be educated from experts then guess just based
on one's experiences.