Problem I am having with JAWS and my braille display!

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:25:13 -0400

In 2000, I purchased a Brailex 2D braille display.

At that time, I was using JAWS 3.7.

Since then, no matter which version of JAWS I have used, I have had
the same persistent problem.

I start my computer in the usual way.  I have JAWS start automatically
when Windows starts.  I have used windows98 SE and Windows XP
Profession as the two operating systems.

The problem is that when I use the cursor routing buttons to move the
cursor to a character that needs to be altered, for example, when
editing file names in windows Explorer, when editing text within in
other programs such as Word and wordPerfect, the braille display
occasionally seems to reset itself.

When this happens, I get the initial text that is displayed on the
braille display when it is turned on.

Most of the time, Unloading and then restarting JAWS solves the
problem.

This problem does not happen every day, it seems to come and go in
spurts.

I have discussed this problem with tech support at F.S. and they do
not seem to have a clue as to what might be causing the problem.

I have also contacted the manufacturers of the Brailex 2D and they
think that it might be Windows resetting the serial communication port
to which the display is connected.

Because this is an intermittent problem that happens only when it
feels like doing so, it is a problem that is very difficult to solve.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with their braille displays?
If so, how did you solve the problem?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Sincerely:

Dave Durber