Off topic post and request to the community, please read

  • From: "Aregullin, Manuel" <Manuel_Aregullin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MIDI-MAG: Blind folks and their use of MIDI" <MIDI-MAG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:39:04 -0800

Hello Listers,
Many of you don't know me, but I humbly ask you to spare me a few seconds
and read this message. This isn't intended as a political or inflammatory
letter, but merely a request to my community.
I'm a totally blind very capable cane user. I find my cane to be extremely
liberating in allowing me to get through this world. <smile>
I'm young, but I've been blind a long time. I'm also a musician and a
student. I'm going to Cuba soon to study music. I've been gathering up a few
basic essential items that people need to live more comfortably. I noticed
that I had a couple of canes which are in fair enough condition accept for
being a little banged up. I plan to donate them to other blind people in
Cuba.
So... I'm wondering if anyone on this list would be willing to donate a cane
which may still be usable if not for a few cosmetic flaws? I feel that it
would be in a small way, a chance for one community to help a sister
community in a country where the average people have next to nothing. Social
services may be well established but there are no supplies to do things
with. I've heard this about the Cuban medical community which is one of the
most advanced in the world, but they have very little medicines to treat
people with.  So, I'd like to bring something that would help a segment of
the greater population that probably needs any assistance however small.
If you are interested in donating a cane, please email me off list at
Manuel_aregullin@xxxxxxxxxx
I'll straighten and re-tape the canes myself.
Thanks for your time, and sorry for the off topic post.

PS. I'm leaving very soon, and if you'd like to help out, please contact me
as soon as possible.
Thanks
Manny