New laptop.

  • From: George Zeinoun <g.zaynoun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JFW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gw-info@xxxxxxxxxxx, dolphinusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:10:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hello folks and excuse me for the cross posting because this is a general q=
uestion.
Most of the modern laptops come these days with no built-in floppy drive an=
d no traditional serial com1. For a person using combi braille display with=
 all commonly used screen readers i.e Hal, jaws and window eyes now how can=
 we connect a combi braille and let it work? I have tried Hal using a pc ca=
rd from socket with dual serial ports, I got com6 and com 7 on the card and=
 hal worked just fine, window eyes version 4.211 and jaws version 500.621 d=
oes not reach these ports. I connected a serial2usb cable it gave me com8 w=
hich I could=20change to com1 but no luck not even with hal. On that socket ca=
rd I have it is impossible to reassign com6 and com7 to com1 and com2, what=
 to do now?
Maybe in jaws I can edit manually the jfw.ini to direct it to com6 or com7,=
 but this is not proven as of yet, what about window eyes ver 4.211?
This person cannot afford a new modern braille display and has the combi br=
aille and is going now to xp, it would be nice if we can help him to use hi=
s existing equipment before purchasing a Focus braille display etc.

Thanks, George Zeinoun.
Timmerv. 6A, 541 63 Sk=F6vde     SWEDEN
Tel: +46500438179