Re: Nero or Nero Express

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:59:18 -0500

As helpful as the wizards are, I rarely use them, except when doing
training in order to show someone what a wizard is for and what it can
do.  I'd rather know my options and how to set them properly for each
kind of CD I want to make rather than go through those silly wizard
programs.  I guess you can see, of the three (Nero, CDRWin and Easy CD
Creator), I do like Nero the best, and it's about the most
price-competitive and comes with the last amount of extra (mostly
inaccessible and useless) software of all of them if you buy any of
the packages.

Now, I have a question about compiling a data CD with Nero.  This may
be a JAWS issue, it may be a Steve issue, I don't know which it is.
Let me explain.

When making a data CD, unlike Easy CD Creator where you can initialize
a CD and copy files to it with Windows Explorer until it's full, then
finish or finalize the disc, Nero uses a disc-at-once technique for
burning its discs, so you have to create the list of pointers to the
files you want copied onto the CD in a list view.  This list view has
potentially three sides in two panels.  The first panel actually
contains two lists--top-level folders, and one-level-down folders.
If, for instance, you were building a project to burn a CD of MP3
files, for instance, your top-level folders might be group names, and
your second-level (one-level-down) folders could be albums within the
groups.  The third side of this display is the file browser where you
choose files or folders to be copied at burn time, which you do by
CTRL/TAB-ing back and forth between the two sides of the screen,
finding what you want in the tree view, and using standard Windows
commands like copy and paste to copy your selection(s) to the disc
compilation side of the window.  That's fine for top-level stuff.
I've discovered, though, that unless your focus is at the top of the
tree, on the label name of your new disc, when you paste something
from the file browser side of the window into your compilation, it
always goes *UNDER* (as in the next level down from) where you are
focused, and sometimes goes to unpredictable places.  For instance, if
you already have three folders at the topmost level, and you arrow
down once and paste something in, it doesn't always go underneath the
first folder.  Sometimes it goes underneath the last one!  I think
what you have to do is to TAB to the next level down and then paste to
be sure you get it where you really want it.

Another hard one is, what if, two or three levels down, you want to do
some browsing or editing of the contents of your compilation?  I
haven't figured out a way to go down past the second level of
directory structure.  So if I paste in an artist at level 1 and an
album at level 2 and decide there are some songs from that album I
don't want, I can't figure out how to get down to level 3 to see that
list and edit it.

Other than that, I'm thoroughly enamored with Nero, although all of
these programs essentially do the same thing, just the look and feel
are different.  Their prices are pretty close, too, for which I also
like a lot.  It gives us all lots of choices.