Mystery of Ctrl+Shift+8 in MS-Word

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:10:06 -0700

If anyone was following the thread on MS-Word starting to speak "space
marker" instead of "space" or not speaking them at all, read on...

The solution offered to the list, is to press Ctrl+Shift+8 on the number
row. However I was mystified as to just where that keystroke came from. It
is not a JAWS keystroke, but one for MS-Office. Here's the actual
description of the keystroke and what it's intended to do:

Display nonprinting characters. CTRL + SHIFT + * (asterisk on numeric keypad
does not work)

So that mystery is now solved.

However I still don't understand why MS-Word started speaking in this format
after the install of JAWS 11.0.1447. Any ideas?

Dave

Alternative archives located at: