Message Status &Attachment Not Spoken OE6 J5.10

  • From: "Margaret Thomas" <iluvtoread@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:26:23 -0500

Hi All,

    The other day JAWS 5.10.383 suddenly stopped saying expanded,
collapsed, and attachment in Outlook Express 6 and Win 98 se.

    I was having other problems with OE and uninstalled and
re-installed JAWS 5.10.383 with no improvement.

    I found a TSN that seems to apply since I have group by
conversation checked:

Bulletin Type: TSN Number: 17236

Date Posted: 09/08/2003

Product Name: JAWS for Windows

Version: 5.0

Category: Outlook Express

Short Description:

JAWS does not state the status of messages grouped by conversation in
Outlook Express

Problem:

In Outlook Express 5 or higher, if you change your view so that
messages are grouped by conversation, JAWS does not state the status
"expanded" or "collapsed"
to indicated opened or closed groups of messages. This affects JAWS
5.0 and 5.1; it is not a problem with JAWS 6.0.

Solution:

In order to make JAWS 5.x announce the expanded or collapsed state of
grouped e-mail messages, perform the following:
1. Start Outlook Express.
2. From the View menu, select Group Messages by Conversation if this
option is not already selected.
3. TAB to message list view.
4. Press INSERT+NUM PAD MINUS `to route the JAWS Cursor to the PC
cursor.
5. Press CTRL+LEFT ARROW.
6. Press INSERT+G to open the Graphics Labeler.
7. In the Label edit box, type "Collapsed". If you use Braille, press
TAB again and type "Collapsed" in Braille Label edit box.
8. Press ALT+O to activate the OK button and close the Graphics
Labeler.
9. Press INSERT+NUM PAD PLUS.
10. Press the RIGHT ARROW key to expand the grouped e-mail messages.
11. Press INSERT+NUM PAD MINUS to route the JAWS Cursor to the PC
cursor.
12. Press INSERT+G to open the Graphics Labeler.
13. In the Label edit box, type "Expanded". If you use Braille, press
TAB again and type "Expanded" in Braille Label edit box.
14. Press ALT+O to activate the OK button and close the Graphics
Labeler.
15. To verify this change, quit and then restart Outlook Express. JAWS
should now say, "Expanded" when a group of messages is opened and
"Collapsed" with
the group is closed.
    I've tried the instructions at least a half dozen times and 5.10
is still not saying expanded and collapsed.  I think a step might have
been omitted after 11 and have tried doing a Control-left arrow after
11 and JFW still won't speak expanded and collapsed.

    JAWS 4.51 says all three messages and 5.0 did earlier today and
just said attachment the last time I tried it.

    I ran a virus check and NSW 2003 said there were no viruses found.

    I'm running the GW Micro version of DECtalk Access 32, but
Eloquence isn't saying any of the messages either.

    Does anyone have any suggestions to get the expanded, collapsed,
and attachment announcements back?  I can live without the two former
ones, but JAWS not saying attachment is dangerous.

    Thanks,
Margaret
iluvtoread@xxxxxxx