Jaws problem with Word

  • From: "Jessie Kirchner" <jckirc@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:18:13 -0400

Hi list,
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, how you
solved it. I use Word 2000 and Jaws 6.10. The issue started some time after I
installed Jaws v6, I think. Word worked fine before that. Now, when I open it,
Jaws reads the menu bar. So the message is something like, "Microsoft Word,
document 1, menu bar, file edit view tools insert table help." Then when I try
to read the document, it inserts fragments of the menu bar as it reads and
skips over the document text. It's as if the menu bars are floating over the
text and obscuring it, but they're docked automatically as they should be. I'm
having difficulty doing my work because of this issue and have checked all
kinds of settings in both programs to no avail. They both work fine on my other
computer with, as far as I can tell, identical settings. I even uninstalled and
reinstalled Word, but it didn't work. Freedom Scientific had no clue what to
tell me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Jessie