Re: Jaws and Open Office.org

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:23:27 -0500

Recently at an Apple workshop I attended, the Apple folks said Open Office works with their built-in screen reader.

At 02:53 PM 10/18/2009, you wrote:
Hello everyone I'm just writing about the open office sweet that you can download for free. However it is not accessable with jaws I know people proably use Microsoft Office though but I'm no programmer but just thought It could be a pritty good product to use if someone out there is brave enough to do something about it. here are a few examples when I tryed using it. for one thing I think it took ages for jaws to find it when I pressed on the writer programme. but the next two things I have notice are for certain. the 1st being that if you typed a couple of lines of text or even a block of text and then do a "say all" command Jaws only reads the line that you are sitting on. So that's just like doing an "say line" which is pritty bad but that's not the worst of it! two more things and they are 1 the spell check function. When you have missed spelt a word or don't know how to spell it, and then hit the F7 key Jaws basicaly doesn't read the dialog box that comes up. and this is the same for when you exit the programme. If you don't save the document or you have saved it, and made a change a dilog box pops up saying something like "do you want to save the changes for document one?" and normally you would tab round to your choice and hit enter. Well guess what? Jaws doesn't read thoes buttons. So, I'm curious to weather Jaws and Open office has been investigated. Hope this is an interesting topic to disguess.

I Feel that open office can become quite useful if it was to become accessable.

Best Wishes

Daniel

Alternative archives located at: