Re: Jaws and Braille typing

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:15:20 -0500

Hi,

What is the character you are trying to write and what braille table
are you using?  Sounds to me like you need to be modifying the jbt
file not the kmp file.  I'm guessing the way it lets you use the
braille keyboard is by employing the braille tables to translate your
brailed typing into printed letters on the screen which is the
reversal of how it usually is since most folks use the braille display
for reading print generated by the qwerty keyboard or a pre-existing
document.  I think that if you modify the jbt file you may have better
luck.  You'd need to find out the ansi value for the character you
want.  For instance, ansi character 231 is the c cedilla which is
braille 12346 ç in most braille tables and dot 4 c in the u.s. Grade
2.  You would modify the jbt file like this:

\231=12346

You'd put this in there in chronological order since every jbt file
I've read has pretty much every ansi character listed with a
corresponding braille sign or, you just add to it.

Let me know if you need clarification.

On 5/11/09, Caterina Avoledo <cate81@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm using Jaws 9 with the VarioConnect40. This Braille display let me type
> using the 8 keys provided on it.
> Is there anyone who can explain me how to modify or add wome special
> characters as letter with accent that I cann't write now?
> I have tried to make some changes to the bvc40drv.kmp file, but whitout any
> result. Where am I wrong?
> Best regards,
> Cate
Alternative archives located at: