RE: Jaws 5.1 again

  • From: "emarquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:32:00 -0500

I can certainly understand the exasperation of some on the list,
including myself, at the periodic inquiries about the pending (or not)
release of the next version of JAWS -- the long-awaited version that
(many of us thought) would finally offer access through Citrix --
something many of us have needed desperately for years.
I think there is plenty of exasperation to go around.
Of course, Freedom Scientific is not entirely without blame for
generating the expectations.  In August of 2003, F.S. announced it
planned to release the Citrix-supporting version of JAWS during the
first quarter of 2004.  Well, the first quarter has come and gone.
Indeed, in fewer than 30 days, the second quarter of 2004 will have
passed with no new release.
Now, we are hearing that will be released some time this summer, which
sounds like the third quarter to me.
To some extent F.S. has created the problem by prematurely announcing
the release of a product which was not anywhere close to being ready.
I can only speculate, but I might be willing to wager a small sum that
the F.S. announcement last August was precipitated more by the release
of WindowEyes with Citrix support than the internal product development
plans at F.S.
The lattermost statement above is speculation.  The information about
the August announcement is fact.
I have pasted in for those who are interested the announcement in the
"NEWS" section of the F.S. Website.
******** PRESS RELEASE *******
Freedom Scientific Newsroom

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sales Contact: Bryan Carver, Inside Sales Director
Media Contact: Jeff Collins
Freedom Scientific Inc.
Blind/Low Vision Group
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
1-800-444-4443 or 1-727-803-8000
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Freedom Scientific announces Terminal Services access
for blind and low vision computer users
Access Technology Industry leader shows commitment
to equality of access for users of thin client technology

(St. Petersburg, Florida, August 14, 2003) - Freedom Scientific today
announced that it plans to release a version of its JAWS for Windows
Screen Reader,
that will provide access to Windows Terminal Server, Citrix MetaFrame
and Microsoft Remote Desktop in the first quarter of 2004.

There you have it!
Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111