Re: JFW Support for Unix & Mozilla

  • From: James <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:20:03 -0400

Freedom Scientific has not, and likely will not, release a version of JAWS
for Linux. JFW is designed specifically to work with Windows, and I've yet
to hear of anyone who's actually successfully ported it to Linux. That
said, any successful attempts to port JFW to one of the Linux operating
systems would not be supported by Freedom Scientific, as it is not being
used for the intended purpose of the product. It would also, I will add, be
quite illegal for someone, be they the owner of a copy of the product or
otherwise, to have ported it over to Linux, due to the licensing
restrictions placed on the product itself, as well as the source code that
went into making said product. As for your other questions, to my
knowledge, no level of proffessional support is given by FS on web browsers
other than Netscape and Internet Explorer. Granted I could be wrong on
that, but that seems to be the only two mainstream browsers mentioned in
any of the publicly released notes. Your ability to use other browsers
could quite simply be an unintended benefit, much like your ability to use
any other programs for which JFW was not specifically designed to work.
Unfortunately, however, this excludes the entire Linux operating system,
based on the reasons I've mentioned above.

James,
List Admin