JFW Rules

  • From: Bruce Toews <coke_drinker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:48:13 -0600 (CST)

These rules are generally sent out at the beginning of each month, but
given the discussion here as of late, I though posting them three days
earlier might be advisable.

There is widespread belief that I have introduced dozens of new rules
since taking over the list. Since the rules have gone from near-zero
enforcement to full enforcement in a rather short period of time, this
feeling is certainly understandable. What follows are the complete list
rules as of this time. The ONLY modification made to these rules is the
addition of the rule headed ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. In all other respects, the
rules have not been added to, subtracted from, or altered in any way. Even
the ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES rule is implied elsewhere in the rules.

These rules will be enforced. They were written by the list owner, who did
a fantastic job of compiling them. Please read these rules. If you don't
like them and want to talk to me about them, please send to
jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you can't accept them, you are not obligated
to remain on this list. I realize this list is not for everyone, and there
are no hard feelings of any kind if you feel this list is not for you. So
here are the rules, from hereon in posted on the first day of each month.

JFW List Rules

The rules are simple and straight forward.  The aims of the rules are:

Permitting list members, to make informed discissions on reading or replying to
messages.
Reducing the amount of spam, unsolicited, and unwanted messages.
Insuring list members stay on topic.
Encouraging members to help each other with problems.
Insuring we all are polite to each other.
Providing a useful resource on Jaws for Windows (JFW).

These  rules shouldn't cause anyone to complain too much.  Any comments on the
rules, Do not send a message to the mail list, rather please send a message to:
jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please carefully read and adhere to the rules below:

Message format
The preferred format for messages that are sent to the JFW mail list is plain
text.  Your Email program might require configuring to insure that your
messages are sent as plain text by default.  Instructions for various email
programs are available on the faq section of the web page at
http://jfw.cjb.net/faq.

STAY ON TOPIC
The topic for the jfw list is:

How to use any version of Jaws For windows (JFW).
How to use Jaws for Windows with applications.

Example of permissible messages are:

Jaws 451: How do you turn off the Virtual Cursor.
Jaws3.2:  What video cards does Jaws work with.
Jaws 5.0 beta:  What is this Mouse Over?
Word 2000: How do you find out the size of a table column?
Access 2002:  How do you set up a relationship?
Jaws 4.51:  Where do I learn about scripts:
MSN 6:  I cannot read the messages being sent to me.

Members who insist on posting messages that are off topic will be restricted
from posting messages to the list.  Placing in the body of the message replies
to be sent privately doesnt excuse members from posting off topic messages.

This doesn't mean that you cannot ask questions about how well jfw works with a
particular application.  As long as you are asking about jfw's interaction with
that program.  Remember, the list is here for help with jfw, not help on how to
use another application.

The moderator has final say on if a message is off topic or not.  Please leave
it to us.  If you have a concern about a message, then send your comments to
the moderator privately.

SUBJECT LINES
Subject lines should be clear and identify what the contents of the message is
about.  If the contents of the message change, the subject line should also
change.  Members who have subscribed to the digest mode, should take note of
this point.  Some members who read the list in digest mode, leave the subject
line the same as the digests.

Besides making subjects relevant to message content, put the most important
part at the beginning of the subject.  Remember that some (awful) mailers show
as few as 20 characters of the subject, so those 20 characters should give the
meat of the idea.  An ideal structure for a subject line is:

Application name, brief synopsis

For example:

MsWord 2k, I cannot create tables.
OE 5.5, the spell checker doesn't work.
Windows 98, I cannot get my sound to work.
Adobe 6,  I cannot access secure documents.

The above subject structure immediately informs other list members about the
message.  This allows people to make a informed decision on what action they
will perform on that message.  Clearer the synopsis (brief description), the
greater chance that someone will be able to help you.

Unclear subject lines are not permitted on this list.  Examples of unclear (not
permitted) subject lines are:

 Help Please!!!
I have a problem!!!
Alt f4 Problem!!!
Thanks.
 I agree
Me too
Test

I think we all know that everyone appreciates the help provided by users on the
jfw list.  A message that simply contains a "thank you" to members of the list,
although sent with the best of intentions, just increases the number of
messages members must filter through.  If you want to thank people, send them
private email.  The same applies for those very annoying messages that just say
"me too", when agreeing with another member.  Holiday greetings fall into the
same category.  These types of message waste peoples time, increase band width
and clutter up your email program with possible unwanted messages.

If you see a message that doesn't have a clear subject line, ignore it.  The
sender will eventually learn that unclear subject lines do not get any
messages with unclear subject lines, you are not promoting bad habits.  For
those people who don't learn, then necessary educational actions will be taken
by the moderators.

QUOTING AND REPLIES TO MESSAGES
When replying to messages, place your response at the top of the message.  If
the response is mixed in the reply, then mention this fact at the top of the
replied message.

VIRUS WARNINGS AND ADVERTS OF ANY TYPE:
Do not, I repeat do not post virus warnings or adverts to the jfw list.  99.9
percent of the time Virus Warnings are a Hokes and waists every ones time and,
it is off topic.  People can go somewhere else to look for virus information.

This list isnt a forum for adverts of any kind.  Only permitted advertisement
is official media releases or product updates notifications from Freedom
Scientific.  Anything else is regarded as Off Topic.

SPAM MAIL
Any person caught sending spam messages on this mail list will automatically be
banned for life and your ISP will be notified of your action.  There will be no
recourse, if this rule is broken.

ILLEGAL ACTIVITY
This list adheres to a strict policy of legality. This includes, but is not
limited to, the following:

Illegal distribution of JAWS or any other program
Illegal authorization of JAWS, including discussion of how and where this can
be done
The use of hacked or unreleased versions of JAWS
Any other activity not permitted under law

How this is dealt with is dependent on how the moderator views the intentions
of the rule violater. Action will take the form of, at minimum, a warning, or
at maximum, expulsion from the list and notification of Freedom Scientific
and/or the authorities.

OFFENSIVE MESSAGES
Members who send offensive messages like pornographic, contain offensive text
(such as sware words), or messages that might breach international law, will be
banned for life and your ISP will be notified.  There will be no recourse, if
this rule is broken.

FLAMING
Flaming of any description is not permitted on this list.  If you have the urge
to flame someone, then do it privately.  Action by the moderators will be taken
against those people who insist on using this list as a vehicle for displaying
their aggression, anger, or frustration via FLAMES.

MEMBER INFORMATION
REMEMBER, a mail list allows hundreds upon hundreds of people from all sorts of
backgrounds, cultures, beliefs, and different level of knowledge.  These rules
are trying to provide a level laying field for all.  When you send a message,
take notice of the rules above before sending a message.

The moderators on this list are giving up their free time to monitor the list.
We arent being paid to run this list.  The pleasure that we get from running
the list, is seeing other people sharing information between each other.
Please help us out by following the rules above.

The moderators have very limited control on blocking unwanted messages or
messages that you feel are abusive, offensive, or off topic.  We rely on each
member to follow the above rules.  The only recourse that a moderator has is to
block you from posting (sending) messages or banning your email address from
the list.