JAWS not reading properly

  • From: "Linksma Mezgeja" <love2knit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:07:01 -0500

For most of today, I and others have been trying to  figure out a puzzle
involving my system using JAWS 4.5 and XP Home. For a very long time the
arrows and menus would not read. then if I was going to my Desktop with
Windows - m, I would hear Windows m and would constantly be forced to use
the say line function in order to do anything with the system. An FS Tech
Supporter found quickly that HP was in my Systems tray and with its alert,
warning, interfering with JAWS reading. He thought that this alert was
causing a flashing on the screen, thus interfering with JAWS. We exited on
it and then I turned off the printer. After that was done, JAWS was
absolutely back to normal and reading fine. I just logged on and again the
reading was hit and miss. I finally was able to get to my systems tray and
there I found and I quote, "1 warning, for HP Series 1215 Printer" I turned
off the HP Printer earlier to be sure and as far as I know, I never remember
the printer being in my systems tray until today.
Questions:  1 How can I remove it from my systems tray?
2 Does it really need to be there?
3 How do I determine what this warning is all about all of a sudden when it
never existed until today?
4 Should I really turn off the printer or what is the best solution in
dealing with the printer so this doesn't keep happening?
    Thanks always  for any ideas or helpful suggestions .