Re: JAWS detecting hardware et al

  • From: "dave-d0619" <dave-d0619@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:02:23 -0400

Your comments has nothing to do with whether Windows detects whether a device
has been connected to a computer or not. That is the responsibility of the
operating system.

Your comments have to do with whether JAWS does or does not read windows and
elements that appear on the screen.

JAWS is programmed to read all sorts of information that does not appear on the
screen, for example, when a list appears on the screen in a Web page.  JAWS
will tell you that you are now on a list and how many items are in the list.
Likewise, JAWS will tell you when you reach the end of the list.  JAWS also
does this for frames and other elements

To a person who can see, it is obvious for them to determine that a number of
related things appearing underneath each other constitutes a list, whereas, a
box surrounding text or graphics is a frame, even if they might call the frame
a box.

So, therefore, if you plug an external device into a USB port and Windows does
not detect the device, for what ever reason, no window appears, so there is
nothing for JAWS to read to you.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber