Re: JAWS and the Intel 3 Gig hyper threading processors

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <nu7i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:55:26 -0700

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I must disagree with the bottleneck necessarily being with
JAWS.  When I load PDF documents into Acrobat Reader or convert them using a
tool such as PDF Magic, the speed issue certainly goes way beyond the actual
use of JAWS to read the document...

When using Acrobat Reader, I do not set it up to deliver the document in
pages, as doing this provides an almost useless, unsearchable result.
time-consuming process with large documents.  In this situation, the more
memory and processing power you have, the faster this process is going to be
completed, and the more responsive Acrobat Reader and JAWS will be once the
document has loaded successfully.

Similar situations are found when converting PDF documents using PDF Magic.
This process takes much less time on my 2.8 GHz desktop than it does on my
1.4 GHz laptop processor.

Of course, the use of OCR applications such as K1000 or OpenBook will always
be improved with greater CPU speeds and larger amounts of RAM.

I can even tell a significant difference in overall performance between my
2.8 GHz (non-hyperthreaded) system and my girlfriend's 2.8 GHz
(hyperthreaded) system with otherwise similar configuration.

It makes a difference, folks, but, like anything else, it all depends on
what you're doing with your computer(s).  If all you're doing is browsing
the web, checking your e-mail and doing some word processing, well, then,
no, it probably makes little or no difference.  But, start doing things even
as basic for us as converting documents for greater accessibility, and, wow!
The differences become apparent...

A+, CCNA, Network+!
All the best to coalition forces carrying out Operation Iraqi Freedom!