RE: JAWS and diagrams

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:04:08 -0400

Gene,

I think what you're recalling was a discussion on MS Visio; part of some
forms of MS Office.

It's used for diagrams of all sorts, but as it stands right now, it's
completely inaccessible to all screen readers.

I wrote a small program in it's macro language VBA, which ran through
all the objects on the current page, and displayed all the textual info
about each that was available (it's title, what ever text had been typed
inside, etc.).  There's also information in the programming model
detailing how objects are linked to one another.

I did this only to show it would be possible for someone to write a new
interface to overlay onto visio that would make it accessible, at least
for reviewing documents others had done.

As for being able to create such documents, well, such a program would
have to be much more complex to allow you to edit visio documents, but
it too could be done.

These programs could be done as VBA macros so that they would work with
any screen reader, or, using window eyes new macro scripting capability
it could be made part of the screen reader itself.

This though hasn't been done by anyone that I know of, so unless you're
an ambitious programmer, it's still not accessible.

Just an fyi, MS Word has a lot of the same object shapes and the same
programming model, so I'd imagine a lot of these types of diagrams could
also be done in Word, and you'd have the advantage of being able to mix
them in with documentation.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange