Re: JAWS and OpenBook

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 04:07:37 -0800

hi Bob,

I use Jaws with Open Book as you say you'd like to do, more or less, and
I'll outline the steps I remember having done in order to set things up. It
might be worthwhile to make a distinction between Jaws and its stock
software synthesizer, Eloquence, because I think you can fix it so that all
you're doing is substituting Eloquence for the self-voiceing of Open Book,
or you can go all the way and convert the keyboard to also use most of the
familiar Jaws keyboard reading commands, including its takeover of the
number pad (I'm assuming a desktop situation, here; don't know how to deal
with a laptop keyboard).

I'll give what I hope are adequate instructions.

First of all, to change the voice to Eloquence, you will have to endure a
bit of audio confusion unless you figure out a better way to do this than I
could figure out, myself, because you'll have to have both voices running
for a minute, one repeating what the other's saying. I think the only way to
avoid this would be to turn off Open Book's proprietary speech first, which
would leave you in silence to do the next step. Not a good idea unless you
happen to have some good central vision so you can peer at the screen to see
what you're doing. But if you're entirely dependent on your screen reader,
and can't take that kind of chance, as I couldn't, try this, in this order:

Launch Open Book, of course. Now bring down the Settings menu (Alt G, or of
course Alt and then right or left arrow until you get to it). Arrow down to
Keyboard Settings. Press Enter (on the main keyboard, not the num pad) to
open the submenu. In the combo box, select Jaws. Tab down to OK and press
Enter. Now the keyboard will work as it does in Jaws, although I've
discovered the occasional exception, like that even though the num pad
becomes the Jaws setup, the Enter key on the right still doesn't work in
Open Book, but no big deal just so you remember this and don't hit it
uselessly and think something's the matter.

(You can save the Open Book settings as you've just modified them, if you
wish, or wait until you've done it all; but don't exit Open Book this
session without saving the settings.). By the way, you can access all the
settings areas also by just pressing enter on General Settings, and then
using Control Tab to go from one page to the next. Me, I prefer to use the
invdividual settings items on the menu, but this is where the voices chime
in to say ain't it great how many ways there are to do something in
Windows/Jaws/Open Book. Doesn't matter.

Now the voices. Launch the Jaws Configuration Manager (Insert F2, arrow down
to it, or Insert num row 6. Open Settings menu, Alt S. Arrow up to come up
from the bottom of the menu to Advanced, hit Enter. Tab. Your first item is
Sleep Mode Enabled, with a check box. Uncheck the check box. Now the
Eloquence voice won't turn itself off when you launch Open Book.

Tab to OK, press Enter. Now Control S to save this .jcf file and then Alt F4
to exit it. Now Jaws won't fall silent when you launch Open Book. Get ready
for some confusion.

Open the Open Book settings menu again. Arrow down to Speech Settings. Jaws
and Open Book's voice will both be talking. Grit your teeth. Enter on Speech
settings, open its submenu. Combo box. Choose "speechless," is how it reads
in mine. Tab to OK, press Enter. Now open the settings menu again and save
the settings. I save to the Default file, usually, but you may not want to.

Now, I seem to remember that, at this point, both Jaws and Open Book were
still talking and it was difficult to save the settings, but play around and
see how it goes. If there's a problem, maybe someone else on this list can
help you around that. But I managed it, despite some confusing moments.

I think it would be a good idea at this point to exit OB and relaunch it; I
forget if that's necessary to finish the conversion. Maybe even a system
Restart. Couldn't hurt. Others understand this stuff better than I do. But
that should do it, and from then on, not only will your familiar Eloquence
voice be the OB voice, but you won't keep blundering around on the keyboard
as I always used to, inadvertently using Jaws commands for reading and
setting off stuff like a new scan when I hadn't meant to. And a scan, once
begun, can't be cancelled quickly and cleanly, so the Jaws keyboard setup
has saved me a lot of frustration in Open Book.

The only downside to this conversion that I'm aware of is that you lose a
few functions that seem to be attached to the Open Book voice. OB will no
longer tell you what position your material is in on the scanner glass as it
finishes the scan process, and it won't announce the pages of a
multiple-page scan. Also, at least on mine, even though it's still set To
Scan and Read under Scanning settings, OB no longer starts reading when it's
finished a scan. I can bear with the loss, but I miss those three functions,
anyway, and even though I used to shut OB up most of the time by hitting the
Control key so it wouldn't start babbling like that. Never miss your water
'til your well's gone dry, goes the blues line. Whatever.

Hope that helps. Again, after doing all this stuff, don't forget to save all
your new Open Book settings properly before exiting the program.