Re: JAWS, Vista and Mirror Drivers

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:32:17 -0700

From that podcast I understood that jaws will have to turn off all the eye candy to function properly. Also I gathered that something like dcm will exist for vista but the guts are radically different. Really no more than that on the dcm issue. Nice that we'll be able to revert back to the classic start menu and use the add/remove dialog like a list view again. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:13 PM
Subject: JAWS, Vista and Mirror Drivers

Hi,
Last night I finally got around to listening to the recent FS podcast about Vista and found it very interesting. I'm curious about something, though. My impression is that Vista offers a lot of "eye candy" and that video handling is quite different, involving the use of mirror drivers. On a recent Main Menu program, the same thing was discussed with regard to Window-Eyes, so apparently mirror drivers must be necessary for screen readers to function properly on Vista. So what's the deal with using mirror drivers and why are they necessary? What does that do to the visual appearance of the screen and would screen appearance be radically different enough to completely throw off a sighted user who might be looking at the screen while I'm using JAWS? I'm really curious about this.

Tom