Re: Instant messaging questions

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:10:20 -0600

hi, Dustin

I'll place your question before my answer for clarity.

At 11:16 AM 11/12/2006, you wrote:
I can not figure out how to add my yahoo
messenger contacts, there is a search edit box at the top of the main
window, and when I read my contact list, there first name is spoken, along
with there email.  I would rather it just speak there name.  How are you all
dealing with these issues?

Ok, let's take this one at a time. Sit back, relax, all is cool.
Firstly, you do not have to worry about the search box at the top of the contact list window. The way you add Yahoo contacts is exactly how you add any other contact in windows live. Go to the contact list, and then press alt c for contacts, and then arrow down to add a contact and press enter. Then simply ttype in their e-mail address or Yahoo ID into the instant messaging address edit box, and then shift tab to the ok button. With luck, your friend should show up soon if they're online. They also may have to add you to their list, i don't know if Yahoo also supports adding msn contacts, but simply adding them to your list is usually all it takes. Secondly, you can get rid of this particular behavior by upgrading to JAWS 7.10. Unfortunately, earlier versions of JAWS still do this, but JAWS 7.1 fixes that little problem of speaking the e-mail address after the name.

On a somewhat related note, it may also help you if you press enter on one of your contacts and bring the conversation window to focus. Next, go to the tools menu with alt plus t, and then arrow down to show toolbars, which is a sub menu. In this you'll find 2 items, standard, and formatting. If both of them are checked, you can press enter on each item to uncheck it. In other words if you go into the show toolbars sub menu and press enter on standard, you will have to do the same thing for formatting to turn it off. This makes your instant messenger window a whole lot less cluttered, leaving you with a lot less stuff to worry about. As for Yahoo messenger, i don't use it much so I can't speak on that, but hopefully someone else can.

Hope this helps.