RE: Good accessible OCR program?

  • From: "Richard P. Kelly" <rpkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:51:06 -0500

Yes, Kurzweil is a bit more expensive, but one does not need to worry about
the change of interface with each upgrade.  It's quick for on the fly OCR
and very accurate.  If you ever decide to take the plunge, inquire of
Kurzweil to see if they currently offer a competitive upgrade.  This will
bring the initial cost down considerably.

I started out with something called Cat Scan in DOS.  That was an expensive
and worthless investment. I then moved on to Word Scan V1 from Windows 3
from Calera Recognition Systems.  Calera was the company that made the
hardware based OCR for the Arkenstone readers, which I think at the time,
added about $4,000 to the cost of a 80286 based PC.  Adjusted for inflation,
all of our options are less costly now and far more accurate!

Cheers!

Cordially,
Richard P. Kelly
rpkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx