RE: Gmail * OE

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:40:23 -0500

Hi.
        Yes, you can set up an account for your Gmail address in OE. See the
following articles, taken from Gmail's help. Note that you have to use =
your
Jaws Cursor to click on Settings and "Pop and Forwarding", but the rest =
of
the process is accessible.
        Aman

What is POP, and how do I use it?

Answer

return to Help Center

POP, or Post Office Protocol, lets you download messages from Gmail's
servers onto your computer so you can access your mail with a program =
like
Microsoft
Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, even when you aren=92t connected to =
the
Internet.

POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge.

* Over the next several weeks, we are introducing POP access to all of =
our
users. To make sure the feature is fully stable, we're giving users =
access
POP in phases. Once POP access is available to you, a 'New Features!' =
link
appears at the top of your account, along with a 'Forwarding and POP' =
tab on
your 'Settings' page.

Learn more about accessing your Gmail messages with POP:
List of 3 items
=95=A0How do I enable POP?
=95=A0How do I configure my mail client?
=95=A0What about IMAP?
list end

How do I enable POP?

Answer

return to Help Center

You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that =
supports
POP, like Microsoft Outlook or Netscape Mail.

To enable POP in your Gmail account, please follow these steps:

List of 6 items
1.=A0Log in to your Gmail account.
2.=A0Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
3.=A0Click 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
Gmail POP Settings
4.=A0Select 'Enable POP for all mail' or 'Enable POP for mail that =
arrives
from now on.'
5.=A0Choose the action you would like your Gmail messages to take after =
they
are accessed with POP.
6.=A0Configure your POP client
*, and click 'Save Changes.'
list end
*To learn about configuring POP access, please visit the
POP client configuration list.=20
=09

To configure your client manually:
List of 16 items
1.=A0Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
2.=A0Click the 'Tools' menu, and select 'Accounts...'

3.=A0Click 'Add,' and then click 'Mail...'

4.=A0Enter your name in the 'Display name:' field, and click 'Next.'

5.=A0Enter your full Gmail email address (username@xxxxxxxxx) in the =
'Email
address:' field, and click 'Next.'
6.=A0Enter 'pop.gmail.com' in the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) =
server:'
field. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' =
field.
7.=A0Click 'Next.'
8.=A0Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') in the 'Account =
name:'
field. Enter your Gmail password in the 'Password:' field, and click =
'Next.'

9.=A0Click 'Finish.'
10.=A0Highlight 'pop.gmail.com' under 'Account,' and click 'Properties.'
11.=A0Click the 'Advanced' tab.
12.=A0Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection =
(SSL)'
under 'Outgoing Mail (SMTP).'
13.=A0Enter '465' in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP):' field.
14.=A0Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection =
(SSL)'
under 'Incoming mail (POP3).' The port will change to 995.
*The order of 'Outgoing' and 'Incoming' mail server fields varies by
version. Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.

15.=A0Click the 'Servers' tab, and check the box next to 'My server =
requires
authentication.'

16.=A0Click 'OK.'
list end

Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and =
retrieve
Gmail messages.

* Did you click 'Save Changes' after
enabling POP in Gmail?
 To ensure that Gmail can communicate with your mail client, be sure to
click 'Save Changes' on the Gmail 'Mail Settings' page.

Want to search for messages stored on your computer? If you're using =
Outlook
Express, you can easily find what you're looking for with
Google Desktop Search.
=A92004 Google=20