Re: Getting around Win amp Update freeze-out

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:08:46 -0600

Hi Dan

In that case you can simply turn the updates off from within Winamp.
Go to preferences and in the tree view hit your home key and arrow down once to general preferences. then once you find the close button, press your tab key 6 times to get to the chek for updates at startup checkbox and uncheck it. then press enter, as the default button is the close button, and you won't even have to worry about silly inaccesible dialogues popping up and making you so frustrated.
Hope that does it for ya.

At 10:13 PM 1/22/2008, you wrote:
Hello Chris,

I know what the message is saying, or at least a few words of it that Jaws
is able to see. I am not able to press or find any controls in this
dialogue, please understand. And I know how to find the download for myself
if I wish, then download and install it. Which I've already done, in fact.
this is not my problem. My problem is this inaccessible dialogue that
interposes itself between me and the Winamp  interface. Again, I can not
find or activate any control on it at all. So all I can do is exit the
entire thing, then if I wish, go to winamp.com or some file download site
and procure the update for myself and install it. then the notice stops
happening, of course.

No solutions offered have been something that I could do, but that's okay.
From now on, when that happens, I'll just exit Winamp and stop it playing
whatever had launched it, go find the update and install it, and proceed
again. It's a bit of a bother, you see, because I'm not a sophisticated
Winamp user and only user it to play single files, not anything more. No
playlists, no library  or whatever. So most of these updates probably don't
do a thing for me. But if I've got to update Winamp in order to stop this
thing happening, that's the price I'll pay for the couple of handy things in
Winamp that work nicely for me while playing a file.

Thanks very much.