Re: Dr. Watson's Got to go!

  • From: Debra Hernstrom <dhh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 12:30:44 -0500

At 06:29 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:
Hi, folks.

Hi Steve,

Here are a couple thoughts, and I say these with extreme caution and hope you've backed up the registery and anything else you can.
Preceed with caution.

open control panel and then go into administrative tools. then look either in my computer, or local settings, perhaps and dig around for services. In the services list there's a dr. watson service with settings either to stop the service, start it manually or have it run automatically. From then on you're on your own. Go to the
www.microsoft.com/kb and search to see if you can shut this down safely.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but I have shut down the service for the zip drive when I occasionally don't want it to run.

Another thing to d, but this is a dreadful possibility, and do this only if you're daring and first back up the registry, and have another computer handy.

You can edit the registry by searching for dr. watson and putting simicolon by each occurrence in the search to turn it off. whether this works is another thing and if you're running Vista, I have no idea.

Take care and I hope this gives you some ideas.

Deb H.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Drwatson postmortem program? I have a
Gateway computer, and I use Jaws 7.1 with Windows XP home. Sometimes when I
reboot, usually with a cold boot, this Dr. Watson postmortem screen pops up,
saying there was an unspecified error. When I hit enter or alt-f4, I'm
unable to do anything further with the keyboard, and I have to do another
reboot. I've had this happen both with and without Jaws loaded. I started
experiencing this situation after I installed Internet Explorer 7,
uninstalled Internet Explorer 7, and went back to Internet Explorer 6. I
don't know what situation triggers this Drwatson, but I want it gone! I
think that if I were to do a straight delete on DRWATSON.DLL or DRWATSON.EXE
that I might end up in a permanent lockup situation that I can't get out of.
Any suggestions on a solution would be much appreciated.