RE: Contacting Magic Jack Jaws With MagicJack

  • From: "Richard P. Kelly" <rpkelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:25:51 -0500

Kerri,

Here is what I know. At this point regarding MagicJack;

1              With the latest update to MJ, the quality of the phone calls
seems to be improved.  The bit of buffer lag seems to be gone so far.

2.            When the program comes up, the cursor lands on the edit field
into which one can type the phone number you wish to call.

3.            Visually, the various buttons, menu options etc. are there on
screen but are not readily identifiable by Jaws.

4.            While I was able to independently set up MJ with the pre
upgrade software, I am not sure I could do so since the upgrade.  So, if you
are considering trying MJ, sighted assistance with setting up will save
frustrations.

5.            Since the upgrade, I've been unable to access headset
controls.  But, since I had it set up prior to the upgrade, I can still
press Alt + A to answer and talk with the PC headset.

6.            The attached telephone also works fine for dialing and
answering calls.

My comment regarding getting what one pays for is referring to the tech
support.  MJ will cost you about $40 for the first year.  This price
includes the first year of phone service and the little USB based device.

I'm pretty certain that the MJ screens could be scripted.  Unfortunately, I
do not have the knowledge to do so.

I hope this helped clarify.

Cordially,
Richard P. Kelly