Re: Combo boxes not reading

  • From: "Gail The U. S. Male" <gail1959@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:28:48 -0700

here is the technical bulletin from Freedom Scientific.
      Date Posted: 03/22/2004
      Product Name: JAWS for Windows
      Version: 5.00.844
      Category: Internet Explorer
      Short Description:
      Cannot read combo boxes in Internet Explorer
      Problem:
      If you are using a Windows 9x operating system, JAWS cannot read the
      contents of combo boxes in Internet Explorer. If you enter forms mode
on a
      combo box, JAWS does not read any text when you navigate and your
Braille
      display only shows the item position and count. For example, you see,
"1
      of 3," instead of "Sample Item 1 of 3."
      Solution:
      To read combo boxes with Windows 9x operating systems, you must edit
the
      text of the configuration (.jcf) file for Internet Explorer. This can
be
      done with any text editor, such as Notepad, but should never be done
using
      a word processing program like Word because the format of the
      configuration file will be changed, rendering the file unusable.
      It is recommended that you create a backup of any configuration file
that
      you modify, in case you make an error while editing the file.
      NOTE: These steps assume that you have installed JAWS in the default
      folder, C:\JAWS50.
      1. Press WINDOWS Key+R.
      2. Type "notepad \JAWS50\Settings\ENU\Internet Explorer 5-6.jcf" and
press
      ENTER to open the file Internet Explorer 5-6.jcf in Notepad.
      3. Press CTRL+F, type "OSM" and press ENTER.
      4. Press ESC to close the Find dialog box. Press END and then press
ENTER
      to create a blank line under the [OSM] section heading.
      5. Type "IgnoreTransparentSpaces=1" exactly as shown.
      6. Press CTRL+S, or ALT+F then S, to save your changes. Press ALT+F4
      quit Notepad.
      7. Quit and then restart JAWS. When you start Internet Explorer, JAWS
will
      read combo boxes correctly.
Hope this helps