Can anyone tell me how to merge cells in Word without using a mouse?

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:19:35 -0400

I guess the message header says it all.
I am forming some tables in MS-Word 2000 however the last rows require fewer
cells and different widths of columns.

Actually I suppose I could still use 6 columns in pairs of two and they
could even be aligned vertically at every second column. The word help tells
me to click on the eraser and drag it across the boundary or to select the
cells and click on Merge Cells however Merge cells remains disabled. Quite
possibly I am not selecting the cells or they are not staying selected, I
have been trying to do so by positioning the cursor on say cell 1, alt-A for
Tables, up to select, tab to the next cell, Cell 2, ALT-A again for Tables,
up to select and up to Cell  then again ALT-A for tables and up to merge
which, time after time remains "not available.

Thanks for any advice.