Can I stop Jaws saying "edit" constantly as I compose and edit an email?

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:38:02 -0700

I sort of glossed over this item in the What's New list on the FS site
before I downloaded and installed the update the other day. I could have
sworn Jaws had already been advising me that I could edit as I tabbed into
the message area of an email I was composing, but then I thought, well,
maybe it hadn't been saying anything and I just wasn't remembering.

Well, I still don't know what the real story on that was, but one thing I
can say for sure: I am flabbergasted that Jaws says "edit" before each typed
or blank line as I'm either composing or editing an email. I just checked.
It's not doing it now. But I'll bet if I run Spell Check and then go back
over the message to revise it a bit more, it will. Let me try it:

Wow. it didn't do it at *all* this time! Now that seems entirely arbitrary
to me, as it happened a few minutes ago when I was composing another
outgoing email, much as I described.

Does anyone know how this so-called improvement is supposed to  work? And
whether or not there's a way to turn it off?

By the way, I'm not complaining that it says "edit" when I tab between
fields in the header, or the first tab that brings me into the message area.
that's certainly helpful, and it seems like something it always did before,
anyway. But why is it out of control, now, and only sometimes, at that?
Joel

Alternative archives located at: