RE: Braille displays and JAWS

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:38:50 +0100

Michel,

We've had good feedback from the Brailliant range of displays. They are
USB and are very small, so if you have a 24-cell one you literally can
put it in your pocket or bag! Apart from the cells and routing buttons,
there are three control buttons down the left side of the display and
three down the right. Some of the commands you can use the control
buttons for use Braille characters, for instance letter h (control
buttons 1, 2 and 5) toggles JAWS keyboard help.

Annoyingly, no version of JAWS - including the 7.1 beta - contains
Brailliant drivers so you can't install it from the JAWS end, either as
part of a JAWS install or adding a Braille display afterwards. The
Brailliant CD has notes on how to install it and I have some further
notes I've written for myself which I can forward if you ever want them.

Another problem I first noticed with the Brailliant is reading Word 2000
tables with the Alt + Control + arrow keys, in that the information on
the Braille display lags one cell behind the current position. I've
asked a few people about this, and there seems to be some disagreement
about why it happens. The UK supplier said they "wouldn't be surprised"
if this was down to the display driver, in other words it's nothing to
do with JAWS. But some other Braille displays have been reported to
exhibit the same problem, and one person has said they have looked at
the list of fixes for the JAWS 7.1 beta, and it says "the problems of
reading in tables with Braille displays will be fixed".

---
Steve Griffiths,
IT Trainer, Access Technology Support Unit
Royal National Institute of the Blind
105 Judd Street
London WC1H 9NE
Tel: 020 7391 2232