Audio Enriched Links 1.4

  • From: Peter Parente <parente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:36:51 -0400

A new version is available for download at
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/ael. Notable changes include:

1) A different caching scheme for previews. All previews are now cached
only temporarily in memory and not in a database on disk. I have a
strong reason to believe that it was the database code that was causing
many of the crashes people were experiencing.

2) When you request a preview and it is ready yet, a message will be
played saying that the preview is not ready. Before, the program would
wait (indefinitely) until the preview was available, blocking the you
from doing anything else with JAWS. In other words, it made it look like
JAWS froze up for a little while. Now, the message is just played and
you can continue working with JAWS and check the link preview again
later to see if it has been generated yet. There is no freeze time.

3) The size of a non-html file is reported in the file preview. Instead
of just saying "The link leads to a file of type PDF" it will now say
"PDF file. 2 megabytes." or "ZIP file. 301 kilobytes." This information
might be useful in estimating how long it might take to download a file
before choosing to do so.

Again, I'm always open to feedback. Please let me know if this release
corrects any problems you've been having with crashes or not.

Thanks,
Pete