Admin: RE: test your hypothesis:

  • From: Quanin <quanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:21:42 -0400

Okay, as I've said before, though will apparently need to say again, this
list is *not* made up of proffessionals in the industry. The only thing
proffessional about us is whatever employment we use JFW in. That said,
this list and the answers given too questions posed on it, are solely based
off what people find works for them. If you don't agree with what someone
proposes for a solution to a problem, and I'm not saying you have to,
that's all well and good... so post your own take on it, or ask them
off-list how they reached such a solution. That's what makes this list a
great place to find information, and a great place to participate in
discussion. Because no one will likely have the same opinion or take on how
to do things as you would. Unfortunately, in terms of a lot of the
questions posed here, the best you can do is take someone's word that a
suggestion will work because, quite honestly, unless you're right there
with them you can't say for sure if there are other issues that may be
effecting the outcome. If you find one solution doesn't work, try another.
Or, worst case, contact FS directly. The only people who know FS's products
better than FS themselves is their users, and unfortunately no product,
regardless to how useful, is entirely perfect. You may very well find that
you've experienced a problem no one else has, or a solution you come up
with works for you when none of the ones suggested here do the trick. Well,
good. So post it here if that problem comes up elsewhere. On that note,
though slightly sidestepping a little, I've seen a number of topics come up
repeatedly over the last few weeks, typically topics that have been
commented on in the past and then simply left alone. If you have a
question, and are not sure if it's in the archives or not, please check
there before you post it here. Sometimes that can provide you more
information than asking it a second time, forthe simple reason, though this
doesn't  happen often, is that same solution may not be mentioned a second
time because whoever suggested it the first time, for example, has left the
list. Our archives can be searched very easily, which is one of the things
I think drew this list to be hosted at freelists.org instead of on my own
server. The address to the archives is posted at the bottom of every
message sent to the list. As soon as I figure out how, I'll move it to a
more noticeable location, however, as I find in itself that this becomes a
very reliable source. Even now, in the list's third or fourth month with
this server since moving from yahoogroups, there are over a thousand
messages stored there. If the answer to your question isn't there one day,
rest asured it'll be there relatively soon. Particularly as undoubtedly
someone else will be right behind you having had that problem, and likely
worked around it on their own. We are each other's tech support personel,
so it only stands to reason you get out of the list exactly what you put
into it. Anyway, one more long-winded message out of the way. Let's get
back to things a little more on-topic, now.

James,
List Admin