Admin: Policy Reminder

  • From: Quanin <quanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:40:45 -0400

As promised, I'm posting the list guidelines, which will be posted on
average of once per month, as a sort of reminder. To start off, let me just
bring to mention that, while the list is under a new administration, that
doesn't under any circumstance mean there are going to be new rules. In
fact, this set of guidelines will be fairly simple, but will be heavily
enforced.
**Policies**

1: Keep it clean. We're a family list, and there are people here who
probably don't want to hear everything *exactly* that's running through
your head. If you wouldn't see it on TV, it doesn't belong in a post to the
list. If you're not sure, email me at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx before you
post it to the list. Otherwise, you stand to see your posts moderated.
2: Stay on topic. We're a JFW-oriented list. That said, anything related to
JFW, its functionality with programs etc is acceptable. If it doesn't have
to do with JFW, it doesn't belong on the list. This includes, but isn't
limited to, talk of other screen readers such as Window Eyes.
3: Listen to, and respect, the wishes of the admins/moderators. If you're
asked by an admin or moderator to drop a subject, or take something to
private emails (in the instance of two people carrying on a thread
list-wide), please do so. If the subject is changed on a thread by an admin
or moderator, it will be explained why in the email sent out with it.
Please don't continue replying to the old subject.
4: Don't ask over the list for a position on the list administration. If
you'd like to help out, it's of course welcome, but address the request to
do so to jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx otherwise it'll be ignored. Requests are
always welcome, whether help is being looked for or not. When help is
needed, a post will be made to the list. The requests already received will
be kept in mind.
5: Keep flaming to a minimum. This is not limited to flaming of each other,
but goes beyond that, to flaming of products, opinions, ideas, suggestions,
etc. Constructive criticism never hurts. Flame wars, especially public
ones, both drive people from this list and are unwelcome here. either take
the problem to private emails, or report the problem to list administration.
6. Respect each other's opinions. This is a discussion forum. This is not a
place to compare who knows more about what ad for how long who's been doing
what. We're all blind or visually impaired. We all use JAwS at some point.
We all have tricks and work-arounds for certain situations. That's what
makes a discussion forum. If you don't agree with something, keep the
on-list arguing to a minimum. I'm not saying don't disagree publicly; I
like the idea that we can have regular debates on certain topics on the
list. But know when to draw the line, otherwise I'll have to draw the line
for you.

If anyone has a question or comment with regard these policies, please
don't hesitate to direct them to me. You can reach me at
jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx at almost any time of day.

James,
List Admin

-- Type: text/plain