Accessible free credit reports

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:09:47 -0400

For anyone who has had difficulty accessing credit reports, as I did, I have
just tested a method negotiated by a law firm on behalf of the ACB and
others. It works. I've copied links below, but first a caveat.

As the law firm's webpage explains, the Annual Credit Report service
provides an alternative to CAPTIA. It looked cumbersome to me, so I first
tried Webvisum. Not only didn't Webvisum work, but when I tried the
alternative method, it failed and I had to start over. So I would recommend
not using Webvisum in this instance. Instead, use the alternative method. Be
prepared to note or memorize, in turn, a phone number and two six-digit
codes.

Annual Credit Report provides access to each of the three major credit
reporting agencies for free once a year. I just obtained my Equifax credit
report through this system. I will obtain the other two over the course of
the coming year. This way I might identify any late developing credit
concerns.

I hope this information is helpful. Here are the links:

 1. Lawyer's website:
http://lflegal.com/2010/11/credit-access/

2. Direct to  Annual Credit Report link:
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp