RE: Accessible fax viewing software?

  • From: "Bissett, Tom" <tom.bissett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:28:13 -0400

Hi James,  I don't think there is because faxes are converted to images
and these images are basically inaccessable.  However you can perform
OCR on these images.  I personally print to the microsoft office
document image writer and use the send to word option it is at this
point that it does the OCR,  It uses the ScanSoft OCR engine.  It does a
reasonably good job of recognition but if accuracy is of great
importance then this might not meet your needs.  I use this technique
all the time at work on all kinds of things faxes, screenshots, and
various inaccessable documents sometimes it works and sometimes nothing
does the job.

Regards
Tom Bissett
BMO Financial Group