[jawsscripts] using com objects in jaws scripting and excel

  • From: Marlon Brandão de Sousa <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:29:44 -0300

Hello,
I will report soon a set of scripts that I have developped to enhance
excel usability. I have found several functions compiled in the
xlFunc.jsb module. These functions don't appear in the insert function
dialog although the microsoft excel.jss has a use "xlFunc.jsb"
statement.
I then looked into the JAWS shared settings and found a file
xlFunc.jsd from where I got the function specs for this module and
have cinse then make a extensive use of that stuff.
For now, my question is the following:
JAWS 9 has a function called moveToCell in the xlFunc.jsb module and I
am using this function. Unfortunately JAWS 6 doesn't have this
function available, so I need to build a similar function, cinse I
need to support JAWS 6.
I developped the following similar function:

function focusCell(string sCoordinates)
var
object oExcelTable,
object oNull
let oexcelTable = getObject("excel.application")
if(!oExcelTable)
saystring("can not get the excel application object")
return
endIf
;move to a1 cell of the current worksheet
excelTable.range("a1").select()
let oExcelTable = oNull
endFunction

This code compiles and runs wonderfully on JAWS 9 (called by a script)
but wont run in JAWS 6 where I need it, although it compiles and
passes the test of checking if oExcelTable was created. Why? If a call
to a com function works in JAWS 9, it should work in every other
version that support com automation rigt?

Thanks,
Marlon

free."
Linus Torvalds