[jawsscripts] Re: Sort of columns in grid view

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 02:40:34 +1000

Hi Jacob.

hmmm. Man I'm not at all sure I've yet totally grasped all that it is your
seeking to have happen here with your frame(s), nor even the full
explanation as to exactly what's happening to you with them.
Except that I glean the PcCursor coordinates do not seem to be merging with
the JawsCursor coordinates, when a given field is clicked on. is that
correct?
First question I'd wanna ask is, forgetting anything about frames, or in
fact even Jaws  for the moment,
are you positive these fields are all meant to be actually focusable by the
pcCursor, when the mouse is clicked inside them? as well as when using the
Tab Key?
Have you been able to check this behaviour visually with someone who knows
the system, both with, and without, Jaws Loaded?
For of course they may not necessarily be. I.e. some might be readOnly ones
visually, i.e. the description fields etc, and even the editable ones might
conceivably be mouseOnly opperable???

You didn't tell us much about the environment of this situation either. i.e.
whether it's living inside some kind of web-based html environ, or a
separate local app, or a terminal window situation ... etc.

secondly, , might I just clarify, how exactly are you expecting these
"notifications" as you dub them, to be announced? and through what method?
E.g. are these fields in this grid you speak of, tabbable through? and you
are wanting to make  a frame to span each one, and then as they tab to them,
and focus moves within each,
announce a manually inserted  field label string to the user?
 plus any data perhaps, which may be in that cell/frame?
Was that the direction you were wanting to go in for this?

oh BTW, you are aware, right? that your onFocus frame, what i often called a
TriggerFrame, doesn't at all have to actually include a data field you want
spoken when focus moves there.
I.e. that you can separate them into two, such that your OnFocus, trigger
frames, are as teency as possible, but they can read larger frames, which
are just sitting there spanning data that one might need spoken when the
field is tabbed to, etc?

Sorry to be so vague, I'm jus having trouble
sorting out exactly the issues your seeing, and the results your desiring,
and from what keyboard behaviour etc.

Now, as for your second query, re frame width dimensions seemingly being
forced to minimum of 28 pixels in width,
and doing unreliable onFocus announcing behaviour when moving in different
directions, now that one, I understood far better! :)
As I've had plenty of experience in my younger days, with that one. I also
discovered that lovely little bug, that I had an inkling they'd fixed at
some point, of that minimum 28 pixels wide thing.
nice that one eh? grrrr!

now, ... goodness! only trouble is, it's been like about 5 years since I did
heaps of work with this exact kind of thing in a terminal emulation window
system I worked with. and I'm just truggling now, to remember the magic
things I learned about making those OnFocus Frames, reliable, and work like
a charm for me, reliably from any direction etc when tabbing. But ... yeah,
from my very very vague memory though,
I think I found that at least at the time of jaws8, which was the version I
was using at the time,
if I set the leftHand edge of my OnFocusEvent frame, about 6 pixels further
to the left, than the coordinate reported by the pc cursor when it had been
moved there by the tab key, then things seemed to work a whole lot better.
assuming PcCursor focus, is, moving around the fields properly, and
consistently with Tab/ShiftTab inside your app,

Other things to check of course, might be whether the coordinates of where
the pcCursor ends up, varies at all, according to whether there is data in a
given field or not?
I.e. does it go to the end of data in an edit box if anything is already in
it? and to the far lefthand edge of that field if there's none? etc?
and, yes, you do need to be quite careful, to try as hard as your able, to
not allow the frames to overlap, if at all possible.
Which can get quite hairy, and often takes considerable tedious shlessing
with the coordinates of adjacent frames, in a bid to obtain reliable
behaviour with this kind of frame usage method.

I did once get a graphic equalizer to speak reasonably nicely for me though
using frames way back in the day.

BTW, I never found it particularly useful, to use the builtin,
SetFrameToWindow DoubleClick ControlShiftLeftBracket function either, even
if every field is it's own separate window.

I know they did that to make the job easier than manually having to mess
with things, but, yeah, I found the onFocus type prompt/notifications it
sounds like your trying to do, unsatisfactorily unreliable wen using that
method.

I hope some of this helps.
Geoff C.