[jawsscripts] Silent Short Messages

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:06:08 -0400

I have a formatted message where I prefer JAWS not to speak the short message
for users with Intermediate and Advanced verbosity set.  I would like to keep
the code so the decision of what to say, including nothing is completely
accomplished in the message file.  Not only is it cleaner and more flexible
that way, but it makes it easier to translate to another language.  I tried
several methods to silence the short message, including three examples below.
The first example is my preferred method.  I thought a blank line or a space in
the definition file as shown would silence the short message.  Unfortunately,
the only way I could get JAWS 10 to use the short message was to have a
speakable character in the message definition.  Otherwise, it would use the
long message!  The closest I could get to silence was a period or comma!  The
second example is what FS recommends in the SayFormattedMessage reference to
silence the short message witgh the cmsgSilent constant.  The constant is
simply a blank line, just as my message constant, and does not work any more as
avertised!  By directly placeing a quoted space in the statement as in the
third example,, silence is achieved!  Unfortunately, this is not as
maintainable and flexible as the first example.
Am I doing something wrong here?  Is there some way to define the message
constant so it will not speak and yet not revert to speaking the long message?
Is this a fairly new change / bug in JAWS?

Example 1:
SayFormattedMessage (OT_MESSAGE, MSG_ANNOUNCE_APP_L, MSG_ANNOUNCE_APP_S)

where the short message is defined as a blank line:

@MSG_ANNOUNCE_APP_S

@@

Example 2:

SayFormattedMessage (OT_MESSAGE, MSG_ANNOUNCE_APP_L, cmsgSilent)

Example 3:

SayFormattedMessage (OT_MESSAGE, MSG_ANNOUNCE_APP_L, " ")

; Space forces a Silent short message for Intermediate and Advanced verbosity

Don Marang