[jawsscripts] Screen Capture OCR Script

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:17:53 -0500

I am fairly close to creating a working JAWS Script that will take a screen
snapshot of the active window, save it to a TIFF file, perform an OCR on the
file, and display the text!  Currently I am making it part of the VMware Player
3.0 Scripts, but I will probably make it available as a default level script so
that it would be always available.  It seems fast and very useful!
I save the screen capture with a small free utility, nircmd.exe, that directly
saves it to a text file.  This utility does not need to be installed.  I just
drop it in the JAWS scripts directory.  It is only 38 KB and runs silently.  It
is available free from http://nircmd.nirsoft.net.   It also has volume control
capabilities for individual components and sound cards in Vista and Windows 7
that I have not found elsewhere!  I have been looking for this for other
scripts.  It has many other interesting commands for power options (even
remote), like restart and shutdown,  and the capability to turn your monitor on
and off.

I perform the OCR silently in  the background and write the text back to the
TIFF file using the Microsoft Office 2007 Document Imaging Tool from the
command line as well.  I then display the TIFF file in the same Tool and
attempt to open another window with Control + T to open the text in Word as an
html document.  This Office tool works, but does not have many command line
options, which makes it awkward.  It also requires that the user have Microsoft
Office.  I am assuming that other versions of Office have the same tool.  Does
anyone know of a free command line OCR tool that might also handle this?  A
quick Google at 3:00 AM last night indicated that there might be a few
promising prospects.  I am looking for a OCR command line utility that can just
return the text in a simple block.  Perhaps it could return the results to the
virtual buffer like ResearchIt.  Extreme  accuracy is probably not necessary.
This tool is meant more to provide more insight into what might be happening in
difficult situations.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what the hotkey should be to
activate this handy feature?  I first attempted to make it Control + Shift +
PrintScreen .  JAWS did not want to assign this keystroke.  This is still my
first choice, and I hope it is still possible.  Do any of you scripters know
why JAWS did not want to assign this hotkey combination within the New Script
dialog?  Is it possible to force JAWS to allow this combination?  Currently, it
is simply assigned to Control + Shift + C.

Don Marang