[jawsscripts] Re: Resizing arrays

  • From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:44:22 -0300

On 5/01/2012 4:55 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
> A couple clarifications:
>
> First, to me at least, a "deep copy" is a full duplication of
> something with all subparts. My understanding of "s2 = s1" where they
> are arrays is that, in JAWS, only the pointer is copied. It still
> works for your usage though, so this is mostly just behind-the-scenes
> stuff for this case.

No.  Assigning one array to another is truly a deep copy in JAWS script.
 I have tested this by making a copy and overwriting the original.
Afterwards, I still had access to the original array in the form of my
copy,as well as the new array I had created.

Please feel free to test it for yourself.  It would be great to have
Coroboration from others.

> Second though, your code assumes array sizes, and most of my cases
> don't have a clue in advance what size to use. As an example, consider
> code that creates a structure of information for each entry in a chat
> window. If the process of counting entries is as expensive as that for
> actually retrieving them, there's no reasonable way to know in advance
> how big to make the array. A collection becomes more efficient in this
> case, because it is dynamic while still being amenable to random
> access.

No argument here Doug.  Collections have their advantages.  My comment
was in response to Travis's requirements.

Cheers,
Andrew.