[jawsscripts] Re: Registration-free COM with GetObject on Win64

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:04:54 -0500

I didn't read through the whole article you referenced just now, but I
can tell you this:

64-bit Windows does not include the MSScriptControl.ScriptControl
object but should allow wsc files to be loaded as COM objects using
the JAWS getObject() call with a string like "script:" plus a full wsc
file path, e.g.,

let oWSC = getObject("script:c:\\com\\myobj.wsc")

I've seen this approach work on 64-bit Windows.

One caveat though: JAWS can't get such an object from some screens,
notably console windows; so if you do this, you might have to
scheduleFunction a few tries and globally cache the object to avoid
jams.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:46:09PM -0500, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
I recently got a 64-bit Windows 7 computer at home and notice a
compatibility problem with my IEMax scripts for Internet Explorer,
available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/IEMax.exe
(or .zip for a manual install)

The scripts make use of a registration-free COM server that I created with
VBScript and JScript code in a Windows Script Component file called
HomerJax.wsc, which is also separately available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/HomerJax.zip

The HomerJax COM object is instantiated via the JAWS GetObject function,
using a technique described in the following article:

Doctor Scripto's Script Shop: Windows Script Components Have a COM-ing
Effect

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692823.aspx

User feedback from Win64 users of my scripts led me to think that this
technique would work on my new computer, but so far, it does not.  I have
Googled extensively for an answer, but not found one.  Can anyone confirm
whether this technique does or does not work on 64-bit Windows?

I am guessing that the reason it does not work is because JAWS is a 64-bit
process on that platform, so this technique would require 64-bit COM
support.  However, it is my understanding that Microsoft did not port that
part of the Windows Script Host to 64-bit.  I am guessing that the
technique depends on runtime evaluation of the VBScript and JScript code
by the COM server with the ProgID "MSScriptControl.ScriptControl.," which
was not ported to 64-bit.

If anyone has info to share on this topic, I'd appreciate it.

Jamal

Doug Lee, Senior Accessibility Programmer
SSB BART Group - Accessibility-on-Demand
mailto:doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done,
it was done." --Helen Keller