[jawsscripts] Reading Read-only field labels & values on a webpage

  • From: "Kamil" <ca.kamilimak@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:05:58 -0500

Hi there,

I had originally posted this question in late November but haven't got any
response since then.

Hopefully, this time you could send me some ideas regarding this case.

As you know, web application developers tend to use tables to layout screen
 contents.

 Assume that an screen has fifty labels & values. Instead of using read only
 textboxes which could easily be reviewed and navigated using InsertF5 (form
 fields list) or even tab key, developers put the label in one table cell
and
 the value in the next cell to the right. Something like:

 For sequential read from top to bottom it works, assuming that there is
only
 one set of label & value appears on each line.

 However, if the user needs random access to any of these fields, one of the
 non-script solution seems to be InsertF or ControlF. This way one can
search
 for the label assuming that he/she could spell it properly.

 Alternatively, one may put fifty bookmarks on the page to be able to access
 any field of choice.

 I'm wondering what scripting ideas could facilitate the random access.
 Assuming that the developer is open to non-visual changes to the HTML code
 (e.g. adding id attributes to all values).

 Many thanks in advance for your kind attention and prompt response,

Kamil