[jawsscripts] PS on Graphics non-recognition issues.

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:42:46 +1100

Sorry, I forgot to say, that the current driver version of the jawsvid.dll file
shipping with jaws10.512, appears to be, 10.18.510.0.
and you can find this out when highlighting any jawsvid.dll file, by hitting
altEnter to bring up properties, then controlTab once to file version, and
there you will read it.
But, to actually definitely find out/know, which version of the jawsVid.dll
file your system is currently using, you gotta either:
A. use the video intercept manager of the jaws version in question under start
menu, and examine the readOnly edit box, which will list it there, or.
B. make sure show all hidden system files/folders, is turned on under tools
menu in Windows explorer/my computer, in the folder options dialog, controlTab
to the View tab, tab to the tree view and arrow down till you find that option
and after insuring it is turned on, go into my computer to the C drive, then to
the windows\system32 folder.
Then in there, type J A quickly to jump to the JawsVid.dll file you'll find in
there, which is the real actual file now being utilized by the system, then hit
alt+Enter on it, controlTab to file Version, then read it there.
where I noticed this whole graphics recognition thing beginning to
significantly break, was after jaws 6.2, which utilized jawsvid.dll version
10.8.46.0.

I obviously put this info on this kind of list because it's a more technical
list, but I think it's reeeally worht people being aware, that if you have
multiple jaws versions on a system, the environment will definitely, not, be,
totally isolated and unique to each jaws version, in this one aspect at least
that I know of. viz, there is this global video intercept hook, which will run
no matter which version of jaws you actually fire up. and this in my view, must
inevitably have an effect on these kinds of issues, i.e. what jaws will read
and what not in varying circumstances etc. it's a real suck it and see thing,
but I've found it safe to just reverse the process if you feel your experiments
prove unsuccessful overall.
hth. geoff c.