[jawsscripts] Re: Jaws 13 compile issue

  • From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:02:47 -0600

Different compilers are implemented differently. Some compilers will
simply ignore any line that starts off with a comment character. Other
compilers will still go ahead and parse lines starting with the comment
character.

I remember you couldn't use unpaired quotes in ksh scripts since ksh
still went ahead and parsed lines starting with a hash or pound
character. This gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "I just changed a
few comments!"

Python will use a statement starting with a pound or hash sign to
indicate the encoding being used for that file. Apparently the JAWS
compiler does something similar to indicate, as a compiler directive, to
make the resulting compiled code backward compatible. Apparently this
string is unrecognized and treated as a comment by earlier version of
JAWS but not ignored in JAWS 13.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain@xxxxxxxxx